The Board of Governors
The Board of Governors comprises 15 members including:
- The Principal
- 2 student members
- 1 member of the teaching staff
- 1 member of the non-teaching staff
Our external Governors are drawn from a range of backgrounds and experience. Our Governing Body works as a team to set the strategic direction of the College.
Their responsibilities are to:
- Determine and periodically review the educational character and mission of the institution and oversee its activities
- Approve the College’s quality strategy
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the College and the Corporation and safeguarding assets
- Approve the annual estimates of income and expenditure
- Appoint senior postholders and determine a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all staff
The Governing Body has scheduled meetings. In addition, if there are pressing matters they may call special meetings. The number of issues Governors need to discuss is immense, so to ensure that all of them are given proper consideration a committee system is used.
There are six standing committees as follows:
3. Finance & General Purposes
4. Quality & Standards
Board meetings usually take place 4 times in an academic year. Additionally the other committees will usually meet 3 times a year. All Governors are expected to attend and participate in as many meetings of the Board as possible and to join and support one of the Committees. Meeting are usually held at 5pm. Governors are also involved in College life through attendance at College events such as award evenings and plays.
Becoming a Governor
Do you have an interest in education and training? Would you like to play an important role in helping Riverside College to strengthen its position as a high quality provider of further and higher education to meet the needs of learners and employers?
Being a Governor is a highly rewarding voluntary role working with others to ensure that the college meets the needs of the community it serves.
The Riverside College Board of Governors is responsible for the overall functioning of the College. In general terms, it is responsible for the quality of service that the College offers to learners and the local community, as well as the College’s financial health and its strategic direction. We are keen to involve people of all ages and cultural backgrounds that can bring a variety of skills and experience to the role and have the qualities to support the College in its goal to become ‘outstanding’.
- Attending meetings of the Board
- Reading papers in advance of meetings
- Participation in discussions and debates
- Gaining experience through membership of Board Committees
- Participation in training events and attending various social events
If you are interested in finding out more about the governing body, or if you would like to become a Governor, please contact:
Lesley Venables, Clerk to the Governors
Phone: 0151 257 2034 ext 1004
Post: Riverside College, Kingsway, Widnes, Cheshire, WA8 7QQ
Click here to see the current Board of Governors at Riverside College.
Click here to view the minutes of Governor meetings.