The Centre of Sporting Excellence at Cronton Sixth Form has been voted as No 1 for Sport in the North West and in the top 8 in the UK.
This outstanding achievement was awarded for the College’s extensive opportunities for students which include individual sports coaching for all sport disciplines, links with high profile clubs and national governing bodies and a commitment to developing young athletes that excel both academically and professionally.
Courses available in Sport
See below for the full list of vocational sport courses available. Please refer to the entry requirements listed further down the page to help identify which level is right for you.
Once you have made an application to the College you will be invited in for an interview with the admissions team who will help to identify the right course, at the right level to meet your goals and aspirations.
|1||BTEC Diploma||Sport and Active Leisure||Cronton||1 Year|
|2||BTEC Diploma||Sport Development and Fitness||Cronton||1 Year|
|3||YMCA Certificate||YMCA Personal Training (Gym Based Exercise)||Cronton||1 Year|
|3||BTEC Extended Diploma||Sport Development, Coaching and Fitness||Cronton||2 Years|
- Leisure Management
- Sports Psychologist
- Sports Scientist
- Sports Development
- Outdoor Pursuits Instructor
- Sports Trainer / Coach
- Personal Trainer
- Fitness Instructor
More than just a course
At the Centre of Excellence we have a range of courses aimed at ensuring students exceed their potential whether they are training to become a professional athlete in any sport (team and individual) or want a career in coaching, teaching or instructing.
The Centre of Excellence at Cronton is held up as national best practice by British College Sport and The Merseyside Sports Partnership. This is down to the exceptional opportunities available for elite athletes and our teachers who have a wealth of sporting experience at professional and international levels.
- No 1 Sport College in the North West
- Up to 5.5 hours of individual sports coaching
- Annual ski trip to France
- Trip to Lanzarote to Club La Sante elite warm weather training venue
- Prestigious work placements with high profile sports organisations including premier league football clubs, local primary schools and super league rugby clubs
- Gain your Sports Leaders, Coaching, Officiating and First Aid Awards
- Take part in British Colleges Sports Leagues and national competitions
A minimum of 5 A*- C GCSE subject grades, including English Language and Science.
A minimum of 4 A* – D GCSE subject grades or equivalent, including English Language.
A minimum of 4 A* – E GCSE subject grades or equivalent, including English Language
What could these courses lead on to?
You can progress through from level 1 to level 3 and beyond with our HND in Sport and our BA(Hons) in Sport.
On completion of the sport courses students can progress in to careers as elite professionals within their sport or within the leisure centres, schools, health clubs, sport coaching within the UK or abroad, or the armed forces.
Following the level 3 BTEC Diploma many students progress on to a range of sport degrees including Sport and Exercise Science, Sport Therapy, Coaching , Sport Management, Health, Performance, Nutrition and Primary or Secondary Teaching.
Centre of Sporting Excellence
No 1 in the North West
Cronton Sixth Form Centre of Sporting Excellence has been voted as No 1 for Sport in the North West and in the top 8 in the UK. This outstanding achievement was awarded for the College’s extensive opportunities for students which this year has included individual sports coaching for all sport disciplines, links with high profile clubs and national governing bodies and a commitment to developing young athletes that excel both academically and professionally.
The College has welcomed Premiership Football Manager, Roberto Martinez and Olympic Champion, Colin Jackson recently who have both inspired and energised students to excel in their sport, which is demonstrated by their many achievements.
The Centre of Sporting Excellence will:
- Provide up to 5.5 hours of individual coaching and one to one specialist support for students at Cronton whether they are studying A levels or vocational programmes.
- Provide Scholarships for exceptional students in order to support them in purchasing sporting equipment, attending competitive events etc.
- Offer students the opportunity to play in the football, athletics, rugby, netball, badminton, table tennis, swimming and volley ball teams in the British colleges sports leagues.
- Focus on supporting 16-18 athletes both academically and in their practical performance development.
- Offer sports science support for gifted and talented students for all sports including athletics, triathlon, taekwondo and many more.
- Work with the relevant professional club and national governing body to maximise player and athlete performance within their chosen sport.