Natalie Patten – CHEER Coordinator
Hi I’m Natalie Patten and I am the CHEER Coordinator based at both Kingsway and Cronton campus. My role as the CHEER Coordinator is to support the further development of the college community by fostering a vibrant and welcoming culture in the college with many student centred events. To actively contribute to the following areas: Charity, Health & Wellbeing, Enrichment, Equality and Diversity and Religion.
I strive to support every student in encouraging them to explore their interests during their time at college and to take an active role in college life by contributing to building and maintaining a college community through cross college student events, such as charity events and celebrating religious and cultural occasions.
C.H.E.E.R permeates all aspects of college life:
CHEER offers a warm welcome to staff, students and visitors of all faiths and none and actively promotes positive inter-faith relationships in the college and contributes to the awareness of multi faith issues. I work with a range of partners; including local schools, charities and community groups, to organise high profile events which aim to promote diversity and celebrate all faiths and continue to champion a culture of respect and kindness.
We get involved with whole college and world events such as the Remembrance Services, Cake and Carols, Pancakes for Shove Tuesday, Easter Egg Challenge, Mental Health and LGBT awareness weeks and International Women’s Day, to name just a few. We work alongside other professionals and organisations and can refer people to other services who may help them.
CHEER is at the heart of a lot of the charity work at Cronton Sixth Form and Riverside College. Over the last few years we have been involved with many great causes both nationally and locally.
During our calendar of events activities, we have helped to raise funds for many different charities some include:
- World Aids Day event, raising money through the sale of Red ribbon cakes, the Red ribbon tree and the beauty donation station.
- Christmas Jumper day & the Christmas Wrapping Station for the Age Uk campaign “No one should have no one at Christmas.”
- Children in Need
- The Valentine’s Day name the bear competition raffle for The British Heart Foundation.
- Red Nose Day
From the end of September through to December 2018 CHEER activities helped raise a wonderful total of £3808.38 for various charities and good causes.
Over the last three years, we have also raised over £12,000 for Race for life!
Calendar of Events Overview
Many of our college events are determined through our college pastoral events calendar. Here are some of the highlights from many curricular events, charity fundraisers and festivities throughout the months.
- We have marked Holocaust Memorial Day during tutorials. Previously students have discussed the importance of themes like “Don’t stand by” in relation to persecution and bullying.
- Fair-trade fortnight focused of fair-trade breakfast. As well as information students received fair-trade produce on arrival to college.
- Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22. Information is displayed to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
- Mental Health awareness week is recognised during a range of tutorial wellbeing and relaxation workshops. Information focuses on support for anxiety and stress that include practical tips and exercises to combat exam stress and student worries.
- The 17th of May is IDAHOT this year’s theme will focus on Justice and Protection for all. Our LGBTQ group meets weekly to discuss topics and themes.
- We have celebrated many religious events such as Eid-ul-Adha (‘festival of Sacrifice’), Yom Kippur, Hanukah, Christmas, Shrove Tuesday and Buddha’s birthday and many cultural events and festivals such as Kwanza (an African American festival) Chinese New Year and St Georges Day.
Where can you find us?
Natalie Patten CHEER Coordinator is based in the Programme Management Offices at Cronton and Riverside and can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org
Come and see me if you have any ideas or would like to get involved in any of the future events.