A group of talented hairdressers from the Centre of Excellence in Hair and Beauty at Riverside College had the opportunity to put their skills to the test in a hairdressing competition this week.
The competition, which was open to all students, was a fantastic opportunity for all of the competitors to create different styles and try to impress the judges.
The judges included Jonathan Hunt and Elsa Burke, owner and senior stylist form Panache Hairdressing salon in Widnes and also Lyn Rhodes, Head of the Centre of Excellence in Hair and Beauty at Riverside College.
The students, who have spent the last few weeks preparing for the competition, set about styling their models during the competition which took place in the College’s Centre Stage Theatre on Monday afternoon.
The winners of this year’s competition were:
- Junior Uptrend (Hair Up) – 1st Codie Wallace, 2nd Jake Riley, 3rd Kelsie Byrne
- Team Event – 1st Chloe Johnson 2nd Chelsea Davies, 3rd Mellisa Gillies
- Beautiful Bride – 1st Terri Winster, 2nd Jade Smith 3rd Katie Crompton
- Freestyle Fantasy Hair Design – 1st Antigua Ricketts, 2nd Rebecca Anfield, 3rd Kerry Jackson
- Evening Hair 1st Shelby Malone, 2nd Sophie Blease, 3rd Ellen Pedder
- Junior Creative Fantasy Hair Design – 1st Bryany Roberts and Linda Billinge, 2nd Jody-Anne Mills, 3rd Ashley Kinsella
Jonathan Hunt, owner of Panache said, “I had a really enjoyable day judging at the hairdressing competition at Riverside College, the standard of work produced by the students was fantastic.
I was impressed by the organisation of the event, as students studying on all levels of hairdressing from year 11 school link students through to Level 3 students could enter a category. I am looking forward to working with the College again in the near future.”
Suzanne McGucken, Hairdressing Tutor at Riverside College and organiser of the event said, “This competition is a fantastic opportunity for students studying on all levels of the hairdressing courses at Riverside College to enter a competition. We encourage all of the students to take part as it gives them a chance to show us what they have learnt so far, gain an experience to add to their CV and really shine.
“Not only have the students exhibited their skills to the tutors but they have also displayed their work and professionalism to Jonathan and Elsa from Panache.
“As always the standard was really high and I am now looking forward to taking a team of students to the International hairdressing competition in Blackpool.”