Personal and Academic Support
At Riverside College, we work in partnership with you to make sure that you realise both your full personal and academic potential. Enjoying college life and becoming fully involved will create an unforgettable experience.
You will be assigned a Personal Tutor who will be there alongside you every step of the way to guide you through college life and help you make decisions on both a personal and academic level.
Work Experience and Industry Placements
Work experience is an integral part of all courses at Riverside College. Students undertaking Level 1, 2 or 3 courses will complete industry placements as part of their course. These placements will range from 5 to 60 days depending on the type and level of course and will take place in a work setting.
Some courses require students to complete one full week or a community based project and other courses require students to attend their placement on a weekly basis. At Riverside we have a dedicated team of Industry Placement Officers to support students and make sure placements are meaningful and successful.
Industry placements offer:
- Fantastic opportunities to gain hands on practical skills in a real life working environment
- Great networking opportunities to make industry links and help with future careers
- The chance to experience more than one setting to help make future career choices
- The opportunity to enhance CV or university applications with practical skills and experiences
- Potential job or apprenticeship after successful placement
Ofsted Said “Leaders have exceptional links with local employers and regional business groups”
Parents Will Receive
- Invitations to welcome / progress evenings and progress reports
- Invitations to celebrate and acknowledge excellent work and attainment
- Prompt contact in the event of poor attendance or progress
- Study Support
We have a dedicated Study Support team who are always on hand to assist you with:
- Organising / planning your work and time management
- Arranging for additional workshops in skills such as English, Maths and IT Developing your study skills and arranging specialist equipment if needed
- Helping you with language skills if English is not your first language
- Identifying and exploring your individual learning needs and exam support
We have a team of tutors and support workers who work with students who have disabilities or learning difficulties/differences such as Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Asperger’s Syndrome.
We have an experienced health and wellbeing team. Welfare is their priority and they can support you with any personal difficulties or obstacles you may encounter during your time at college.
Our experienced team can help you with:
- Career decisions and higher education routes including UCAS applications
- Job vacancies and employment opportunities
- Managing your finances and financial assistance
- Individual support if you have any personal difficulties
“Managers, teachers and staff provide learners and apprentices with excellent and impartial careers information, advice and guidance before and during their programmes”