TRAVELLING TO COLLEGE
In addition to all of the safety measures we have put in place within College, we have worked with our local transport providers to ensure that all of the latest guidance from Government on travelling to College is being followed. Student attendance in College has been reduced with some courses teaching a percentage of lessons where appropriate through virtual platforms; this will reduce the number of students attending on a daily basis and therefore travelling on College and public transport each day compared to previous years.
We are encouraging students to walk or cycle to College where safe and appropriate, and have increased the number of bike sheds available to support this. The advice is still to limit your use of public transport, if you can.
When travelling on the College buses or public transport in order to stay safe please ensure that you;
- Wear a face covering at all times, unless you are exempt (please carry with you your NHS exemption card or lanyard).
- Wash and/or sanitise your hands before entering the bus and when you disembark
- Use contactless bus passes or payment cards, avoid the use of cash where possible
- Socially distance from other passengers when on public services (not applicable to dedicated College buses)*
- Where possible sit with others who are in your College bubble
- When you are waiting for the bus at the end of the College day, stay with those in your College bubble either outside or in your dedicated social space until your bus arrives, socially distancing from students from other College bubbles
- Fill the bus from the back to the front to allow others getting on the bus to stay with those from their College bubble
- Ensure you follow the ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach, carry a tissue with you at all times and if you use it dispose of it in the bins provided when you arrive at College
- Do not travel on any transport if you, or anyone in your household is displaying symptoms of COVID-19
- If you start to display symptoms of COVID-19 while in College, you must inform a member of staff immediately and not board any College or public transport. Staff will work with you to contact your emergency contact and make arrangements for you to get home safely.
*If you are travelling on dedicated School or College buses (in the College’s case these are Warrington’s Own numbers 39-50 and Anthony’s Travel no.1) the Government have advised that ‘from the autumn term local authorities will not be required to uniformly apply the social distancing guidelines for public transport on dedicated school or college transport’. You can read more information on this in the guidance, which you can access by clicking here.
If you would like to read more on how the transport providers are working hard to keep you safe whilst on their vehicles please visit their individual websites.
Read on for information on bus passes, timetables and how to map your route to College.
FREE BUS PASS: ACADEMIC YEAR 20/21
For all Riverside College Students who live more than 1.5 miles from College
At Riverside College our aim is to ensure your journey is a smooth one, and for this academic year 2020/21 we are delighted to continue to be able to offer FREE travel for students who live more than 1.5 miles from College.
The FREE bus pass will cover all 16 of the College’s dedicated, direct bus services, including an additional NEW St Helen’s bus we have introduced for September 2020. The pass also included the Anthony’s Travel no.1 bus from Helsby and Frodsham, the Ashcrofts Widnes Circular 26/26A and any of Warrington’s Own Buses public services.
The 16 dedicated College services are all listed with their timetables below and cover Widnes, Runcorn, St Helens, Rainhill, Warrington, Knowsley, Huyton, Liverpool, Helsby and Frodsham. These buses will bring you in to College at the beginning and end of the day.
PLEASE NOTE for the Academic year 2021/2022 a small charge will be introduced for these bus passes.
Students using one of the Warrington’s Own Buses routes can use the company’s mapping tool to map their journey: https://www.warringtonsownbuses.co.uk/school-services
For the Ashcroft’s 26/26A timetable, and to look at any other provider timetables such as Arriva please click here: https://www3.halton.gov.uk/Pages/publictransport/bus-timetables.aspx