Level: 5 | Duration: 3 Years | Start Date: September
Days of the Week: 1 day per week, Mondays, 10am-5pm (TBC 2024)
Location: Riverside College, Kingsway, Widnes, WA8 7QQ
• Level 3 in Counselling or related qualification at level 3 and GCSE English Language at a minimum of Grade C/ Grade 4 (or equivalent).
• Experience of working in an environment with children for a minimum of one year.
• An enhanced satisfactory DBS check.
• Two references (one from an academic source).
• Admissions and curriculum interview
Course Fee (Per Year): £4,500
Click here for information about Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans.
Course Overview and Duration
The Foundation Degree in Counselling Children and Young People is an innovative programme that provides education and training for working therapeutically with children and young people from early years to young adulthood using a variety of therapeutic approaches.
Counselling children requires practitioners to have an in-depth understanding of child and adolescent development theory, child psychiatry, safeguarding and child protection policies, legal and ethical issues as well as an excellent knowledge of theoretical models and theoretical interventions specific to this group. This qualification aims to develop skilled practitioners who are ‘excellent in their practice’.
Successful completion of this course means that you will have achieved qualified practitioner status and will be eligible for employment as a counsellor working with children and young people.
When you enrol, you will receive the date of your first induction session where you will receive your timetable for the academic year.
On successful completion of the Foundation Degree in Counselling Children and Young People (FdSc) award, students will be awarded with a Staffordshire University degree.
Modules of Study
Over the 3-year duration of the programme, you will study ten modules, including:
- Develop a Theoretical Base 1: Models of Counselling Applied to Working with Children and Young People
- Counselling Children and Young People Skills 1
- Personal Development 1: Understanding Self
- Professional Issues 1: Preparing for Work in Placement with Children and Young People
- Counselling Children and Young People Skills 2
- Professional Issues 2: Case Formulation, Children’s Mental Health and Theories of Child Development
- Counselling Placement
- Personal Development 2: The Group Process
- Developing a Theoretical Base 2: Further Theoretical Developments in Counselling Children and Young People
- Professional Issues 3: Setting up a Private Practice for Counselling Children and Young People
- Highly qualified teachers who are also professional practitioners in a variety of therapeutic areas
- Excellent links with local employers who request students from Riverside College
- Outstanding progression to honours degree, employment or own private practice
- Achieve professional status as practitioner
- This programme part meets the criteria for accreditation with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), should you wish to apply for this in the future.
Why choose Riverside College for this course?
Staff have a wealth of counselling experience and come from a variety of therapeutic backgrounds. Each member of staff is committed to fully supporting your progress and successful achievement on this course.
What will this course lead on to?
Graduates of the Foundation Degree in Counselling in Children and Young People may find employment in a range of counselling fields such as schools, colleges, volunteer sector organisations and the NHS. Graduates may also set up their own private practice.
On completion of this Foundation Degree graduates will have the opportunity to top up to a full BSc (Hons) Counselling Children and Young People degree at Riverside College by undertaking an additional study year.
Request a Call Back
Complete the below form to request a call back from our Admissions Team.
Higher Education Links
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes