Level: 5 | Duration: 3 Years | Start Date: 11/09/23
Days of the Week: 1 day per week, Monday, 10am-5pm OR 2 evenings per week, Monday and Wednesday, 6pm-9pm (TBC for 2023)
Location: Riverside College, Kingsway, Widnes, WA8 7QQ
• Level 3 in Counselling and GCSE English Language at a minimum of Grade C/ Grade 4 (or equivalent).
• An enhanced satisfactory DBS check.
• Two references (one from an academic source).
• Admissions and curriculum interview
Course Fee (Per Year): £4,500
Click here for information about Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans.
The Foundation Degree in Counselling will provide in depth professional training in counselling skills and theory. This programme aims to provide a stimulating learning environment where you will develop a sound understanding of professional, legal and ethical issues. Increasing self-awareness and personal development are also an integral part of the course. Successful completion of this course means that you have achieved qualified practitioner status and will be eligible for employment as counsellors. Graduates will have the opportunity to complete a BSc (Hons) Counselling at Riverside College.
When you enrol, you will receive the date of your first induction session where you will receive your timetable for the academic year.
On successful completion of the Foundation Degree in Counselling (FdSc) award, students will be awarded with a Staffordshire University degree.
What will I learn on this course?
Alongside the core theoretical models of Person-Centred, Psychodynamic and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, you will have the opportunity to study several alternative aspects of counselling theory, these include: Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Transactional Analysis and Gestalt. You will examine professional issues in relation to working with clients and you will also develop skills in case formulation and working with mental health issues. You will be provided with the opportunity to practise counselling skills in a safe and facilitative environment. The personal development aspect of the course looks at developing an understanding of self and the group process.
Emphasis is on the work-based element of the award. This focuses upon the development and application of a range of work-based competences and will prepare you to make the transition from learner to counsellor. Work placement is an integral part of the Foundation Degree in Counselling. 100 supervised placement hours will be completed in years 2 and 3
Over the 3-year duration of the programme, you will study ten modules, including:
- Counselling Models and the Integrative Approach
- Counselling Skills 1
- Personal Development & Understanding Self
- Professional Issues & Preparing for Counselling Placement
- Counselling Skills 2
- Case Formulation and Mental Health
- Counselling Placement
- Personal Development & The Group Process
- Further Developments in Counselling Theory
- Setting up in Professional Practice
- Highly qualified teachers who are also professional practitioners in a variety of therapeutic areas
- Excellent links with local employers who request students from Riverside College
- Outstanding progression to honours degree, employment or own private practice
- Achieve professional status as practitioner
- This programme part meets the criteria for accreditation with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), should you wish to apply for this in the future.
Why choose Riverside College for this course?
Staff have a wealth of counselling experience and come from a variety of therapeutic backgrounds. Each member of staff is committed to fully supporting your progress and successful achievement on this course.
What will this course lead on to?
As a fully qualified practitioner, graduates will be equipped to gain employment as professional counsellors in this growing industry. Successful graduates may also wish to set up their own professional counselling practice.
On completion of this Foundation Degree, graduates will have the opportunity to top up to a full BSc (Hons) Counselling degree at Riverside College by undertaking an additional study year.
Request a Call Back
Complete the below form to request a call back from our Admissions Team.
Higher Education Links
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes