- If you are an Employer looking to take on an apprentice, click here for more information.
- If you are looking to Start an Apprenticeship, click here for our latest apprenticeship vacancies.
Apprenticeships at Riverside College
On an apprenticeship you get the best of both worlds! You earn money while you work in the industry of your choice, and gain relevant qualifications at Riverside College.
The minimum salary is £3.30 per hour however many apprentices earn significantly more. You can study on an apprenticeship over one, two or three years depending on the level you start at and how far you decide to go. There are three levels – intermediate, advanced and higher; the collection of qualifications and training are called a ‘framework’.
Is an Apprenticeship for me?
If you have a clear idea of the career you want and the dedication to succeed in the world of work then an apprenticeship could be for you. Depending on your framework, training can be working with your employer for four days a week and coming into college one day or one evening a week to study, or training entirely in your place of work and earning at the same time. Either way you get to gain valuable experience, while furthering your education.
In order to get an apprenticeship you could consider looking to do some work experience in the industry of your choice now. This will help you determine if it is the right career choice for you and give you a head start when applying for apprenticeships.
What are the benefits of an Apprenticeship?
- Practical experience, skills and knowledge in your chosen industry.
- A recognised NVQ qualification and technical certificate at level 2 on the Apprenticeship
programme (equivalent to 5 GCSE passes), or level 3 (equivalent to 2 A level passes).
- Functional Skills in Maths, English and with some frameworks ICT.
- A head start into employment in your chosen industry and with the support of your new employer the opportunity to progress on to further courses including higher education.
What do I do next?
If you think an apprenticeship is for you then all you need to do is complete the application form or call 0151 257 2175. You will then follow the normal college admissions process, during which your career goals will be discussed and you will be given any advice and guidance you need.
You will also need to find an employer to employ you as an apprentice before starting your course. The college may be able to assist you with this, but you could also try approaching an employer with whom you have completed work experience in the past.