You can get help from the government to pay for apprenticeship training.
The amount you get depends on whether you pay the apprenticeship levy or not. You pay the levy if you are an employer with a pay bill over £3 million each year.
If you are a Levy paying Employer:
As an employer with a wage bill of more than £3 million, you are required to pay the apprenticeship Levy. You can manage funds using the apprenticeship service and spend it on training and assessing your apprentices.
The government will apply a 10% top up to the funds you have in your account.
If you don’t have enough funds, you will pay 5% of the outstanding balance and the government will pay the other 95%. This is up to the funding band maximum allocated to each specific apprenticeship.
If you exceed the funding band maximum, you will need to pay all the additional costs.
If you don’t already have an account, find out how to set up an apprenticeship service account as an employer.
For Non – Levy Employers
As an employer that doesn’t pay the apprenticeship Levy, you may need to pay just 5% towards the cost of training and assessing an apprentice.
If you employ fewer than 50 employees, the government will pay 100% of the apprenticeship training costs up to the funding band maximum for apprentices aged:
- 16 to 18
- 19 to 24 with an education, health and care plan provided by their local authority or has been in the care of their local authority
If you do not qualify for 100% of the funding we will negotiate with you how you can pay the remaining 5%
If you exceed the funding band maximum, you’ll need to pay all the additional costs.
For any new Apprenticeship recruits from April 1st 2021, all non levy Employers will need to set up a service account to enrol an apprentice. For further information, click here.
There are additional government incentives available for recruiting a new Apprentice. See below for information.
The Chancellor’s “A Plan for Jobs” announced in July 2020 launched a wave of new apprentice incentive schemes to help boost the economy and to support the next generation of apprenticeships.
As an Ofsted OUTSTANDING APPRENTICESHIP provider, we can provide support with the range of incentives now available. We also offer a free Apprenticeship recruitment service.
The current scheme provides employers who hire a new apprentice between 1 April 2021 and 30 September 2021 with a payment of:
- £3000 for each new apprentice regardless of age
The government will make this payment in addition to the £1000 payment that employers already receive for taking on an apprentice:
- aged 16 to 18
- under the age of 25 with an education, health and care plan
This scheme is only available for a limited period so to find out more please contact our specialist apprenticeship team today on 0151 257 2828 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click here for the Apprenticeship courses on offer.
There may be other local initiatives that our specialist advisors will be able to discuss with you on enquiry.
- Real Stories
- Organisation Benefits
- Hiring An Apprentice
- Upskilling Current Staff
- Apprenticeships We Offer
- Funding an Apprenticeship / Incentives Available
- Training Your Apprentice
- End-Point Assessments
- Set Up a Service Account