Level: 5 | Duration: 2 Years | Start Date: September
Days of the Week: Monday, Thursday and Friday (TBC 2024)
Location: Cronton College, Cronton Lane, Widnes, WA8 5WA
Full Time Course
64 UCAS points, made up of a combination of the following:
• Level 3 qualification in a relevant subject e.g. BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport or health related studies.
• A Levels in related subjects such as PE or Biology.
• GCSE English and maths at a minimum of Grade C/ Grade 4 (or equivalent).
• Applicants with industry/professional experience will also be considered on an individual basis. All applicants will be interviewed.
• Successful applicants will need an enhanced satisfactory DBS check.
Course Fee (Per Year): £6,950
Click here for information about Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans.
The Foundation Degree in Sport Coaching and PE (FdSc) is a two-year full-time programme of study.
The Foundation Degree in Sport Coaching and PE (FdSc) will provide in depth professional theory with the opportunity to progress to employment within the Sport, Leisure and Educational industry in a wide range of roles. It aims to provide a stimulating learning environment where students will develop a sound understanding of professional, legal and ethical issues. Increasing self-awareness and personal development are also an integral part of the course.
When you enrol, you will receive the date of your first induction session where you will receive your timetable for the academic year.
On successful completion of the Foundation Degree in Sport Coaching and PE (FdSc) award, students will be awarded with a Staffordshire University degree.
The Foundation Degree in Sport Coaching and PE is distinctive in its focus upon the applied aspects of sports teaching and coaching with 50% of Level 4 being of an applied nature covering a wide range of sport and physical education activities in preparation for placement at Level 5. The programme design has been informed by local and regional employers, support agencies and national governing bodies of Sport and aligned with QAA Higher Education benchmark statements for Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism. These organisations provided valuable curriculum and delivery consultation to ensure the award incorporates the knowledge, skills and learning opportunities essential for graduates who wish to become competent and confident professional sports teachers, lecturers and coaches.
Modules of study:
The course will be continually assessed through assignments which can be practical assessments, exams, phase tests, portfolios or written and researched tasks and will include working skills necessary for future employment. Modules are subject to change but could cover areas such as:
- Developing Research Skills in Sport and Exercise
- Academic and Employability Skills in Sport and Exercise
- Sports Science for Coaches and Teachers
- Fundamentals of Psychology for Sport & Exercise
- Coaching & Teaching in Sport
- Coaching and Teaching in Sport (Invasion Games)
- Teaching & Coaching PE – National Curriculum Activities
- Research & Career Development in Sport & Exercise
- Acquisition, Analysis & Coaching Sport Skills
- Advanced Psychology of Sport and Exercise
- PE & Youth Sport Theory, Practice and Placement
Why choose Riverside for the Course?
As a Sports student at Riverside College you will benefit from a distinctive educational experience, inspirational teachers and dedicated tutor support. You will be stretched and challenged academically, whilst developing cutting-edge professional skills to ensure you stand out when applying for employment or promotion. Passionate teachers who are experts in their field are at the heart of what makes Higher Education courses at Riverside College so successful. Your teachers will work with our Pastoral Support Worker for Adults and Higher Education to ensure you have every opportunity to reach your potential.
Students graduating from the Foundation Degree in Sport Coaching and PE may be eligible to progress onto a relevant top-up degree such as the BSc (Hons) PE and Youth Sports Coaching programme which is the designated degree top-up award at Staffordshire University or the BA (Hons) Sport Coaching and Sport Development which is offered at Riverside College.
On completion of the Foundation Degree in Sport Coaching and PE, you will also have the opportunity to progress into a wide range of sport and non-sport related careers, most commonly teaching, coaching, fitness instruction and sport development.
- Year 1: you’ll spend 22% of time in lectures, seminars or similar and 78% of time in independent study.
- Year 2: you’ll spend 22% of time in lectures, seminars or similar and 78% of time in independent study.
- Year 1: your assessment will be 35% by exam and 62% by coursework.
- Year 2: your assessment will be 25% by exam and 75% by coursework.
Request a Call Back
Complete the below form to request a call back from our Admissions Team.
Higher Education Links
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes