Welcome to the Painting & Decorating Resources & Practice Tasks Page
Click on the link below for the Painting & Decorating course leaflets to gain information on entry requirements, course content, facilities and enrichment opportunities.
School of Construction Riverside College
Hello and welcome to the start of your Construction course at Riverside College. Our number one goal at Riverside College is to give every learner a fantastic learning experience in order for you to be successful in your chosen pathway to employment. This resource will help you to prepare yourself for the start of your course in September, it gives you an insight on what to look forward to on your course and also includes a few activities to complete in preparation for your induction in September.
Our tutors are always here to help and are available to answer any questions that you may have in between now and the start of your course so please feel free to email them at any point. You can contact them or ask any questions about starting college by emailing email@example.com
I am really looking forward to meeting all of our new learners during enrolment,
I hope you all enjoy completing the tasks that your tutor has set you.
Have a fantastic Summer,
Construction Head of School, Darren Moore
Painting & Decorating
Welcome to the resources to help prepare you for your chosen course and career path within the Construction sector. We are very happy that you have chosen Riverside College to carry out your studies & we are very much looking forward to seeing you at enrolment and for you to start the course with us in September.
Here are a list of topics that you will be covering from September – This is in order of delivery:
- Health & Safety in Construction
- Tool Identification
- How to cut in using paint brushes ?…
- Preparing typical surfaces – timber, plaster – metal
- Recognise types of paints and other materials
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper to a chimney breast
- Mix adhesives
- Paint windows, doors, and trim neatly
- Apply decorative finishes
- Apply paints to ceilings and wall areas
- Recognise access equipment
- Learn about all other aspects of the construction industry
- Drawing out designs using measurements
- Apply acrylic paints neatly
- Burning off using 3 methods
- Treat ferrous and non ferrous metals
- Surface preparation
- Prepare and paint a standard room area
- Using brush and roller
- Line and wallpaper complex surfaces including : a Chimney breast, window wall,
- Ceiling, and feature wall
- Set out and produce a faux marble finish
- Create two wood grain effects
- Design and apply stencils to a surface
- Set up a mobile scaffold tower
- Learn about all other aspects of the construction industry
- Complex painting skills
- Apply specialist wallpapers to –
- Archway, column, Staircase, chimney breast
- Apply a photo mural
- Hang linctrusta to a wall area
- Apply wide width vinyl
- Set out and apply plaster coving and a ceiling rose
- Use an airless spray system to paint a large area
- Use HVLP spray to paint doors and frames
- Set out and produce a gold leaf effect (gilding)
- Mix and apply scumble glaze to produce heartwood graining
- Produce three types of marble finishes
- Create a multi plate stencil
- Learn about sustainability and energy efficiency in construction
Term 1 – What to expect
During the first term, the level 1&2 learners practise all aspects of preparation which includes burning off timber surfaces, also preparing metals, priming new plaster and new timber.
We also work towards how neatly the students can Paint free hand with a paint brush with the aid of a drawing set out using basic measurements and achieving straight lines.
The Level 3 students work towards more complex Wallpapering skills, for instance a staircase, a free standing column, an Arch, and ceilings. All carried out Using specialist wallpapers.
Why Choose Painting & Decorating at Riverside College?
Here at Riverside College we have the added support from local decorating businesses, one, in particular, is the Bell Group who are the biggest painting company in the country. They arrange dates throughout the year to provide added training using our facilities. Students in our academies will benefit from work experience on live sites, master classes and workshop sessions delivered by Bell Group staff and trusted suppliers such as leading paint manufacturers Akzo Nobel, PPG and Crown Paints.
Master classes and workshops consist of industry led activities, for example; painting techniques, wallpapering, manufacturer led activities around products, materials and innovations and employability skills sessions such as CV writing, preparing for interviews and mock interviews. Students who progress through our decorating academies will be greater equipped to secure employment having been mentored through their studies, receiving supplementary support, and having been exposed to real life working environments. We currently have a number of students who have been employed as apprentices by the Bell Group which is a fantastic opportunity to offer our existing learners.
For more information about the Bell Group visit: https://www.bellgroup.co.uk/our-company/about-us/
Trips & Visits
Here at Riverside College we take the students on numerous educational trips and outings that supplement the learning topics they are covering. Recently we attended the National Painting and Decorating Show at Coventry.
This gave the students the opportunity to forge links with the painting manufactures and companies.
We also have visits from other professionals from the painting and decorating world including Johnstones to talk to our students. We recently had Dulux visit Year 3 to demonstrate the art of spraying.
Worldskills / Competitions
At Riverside College we are a big supporter of UK Skills competitions and Worldskills.
UK Skills competitions give you the opportunity to represent your college and compete against other colleges in the North West, it is a great chance to showcase the skills that you have developed throughout your learning.
Uk Skills winners will have the opportunity to represent their country in the Worldskills competition which will be taking place in Shanghai in 2021 and then in Lyon in 2023.
It is very important that you feel organised and ready to learn when you start on you Painting & Decorating course in September. You will be given more information about this when you attend enrolment but below is a list or what is required for both practical and theory lessons from September. There is also a link to where you can purchase your PPE equipment.
- Safety boots
- White bib and braces overall
- Bell Group Academy T-shirt x2
- Writing pad
- Arch Lever Folder
In preparation for your induction in September we would like you to complete the following tasks and bring your work with you to Day 1 of your induction:
Write a paragraph or two on why you want to be a Decorator, When did you realise that this is what you wanted to do and what has influenced your decision?
Where do you want to be in 5 years’ time, what do you want to be doing? What is your career vision?
Example – Take pictures of your living room and then plan out how you would decorate it, what materials would you use, what colours, etc
Students to download the Dulux Visualizer APP
STEP 1 – Open the APP on your phone
Click on my ideas
STEP 2 – Add an Idea
STEP 3 – Pick a room
STEP 4 – Import a picture of your room
STEP 5- Use your picture and find a preferred colours – follow the on screen instructions
STEP 6- Back to the main menu and click on products
STEP 7- Select materials needed to complete your room
Click on the heart to add each product to your project
Finally answer the following questions:
- What room did you select in your house?
- Can you list all of the products that you selected?
- What colours did you select?
- Using the products you have selected above, find the price of each paint/material? Click on the link to find each price: https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/price-drop/